New Monitor?
(1 viewing) (1) Guest
  • Page:

TOPIC: New Monitor?

Like this thread on Facebook! Add this thread do Google Buzz

New Monitor? 13 years, 9 months ago #15014

• Luckie
  • Official TWK Admin
Right, after playing COD tonight, I'm convinced that it doesn't look as good as it should with my computer. I think that because I'm playing on such an old monitor (at least 5 years old) that it looks pretty gash. However, I'm not sure.

My current monitor has a 10ms response time, I think a max resolution of 1280*1024 (this is the highest resolution that I seem to pick up in windows, games etc. though I know that the majority of people have a higher resolution than this). I have no idea what the contrast ratio is nor how to find it out.

My computer specs are:

64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium
ASUS P5K PRO Motherboard
1GB GeForce 8800GT
Intel Q6600 Quad Core Processor @ 2.4GHz
And I got this from the CRUCIAL memory scanner for my RAM:
Currently installed memory:

1GB
DDR PC2-6400
1GB
DDR PC2-5300
1GB
DDR PC2-5300
EMPTY
ot can hold DDR2 PC2-6400, DDR2 PC2-8500, DDR2 PC2-5300 with a maximum of 2GB per slot.*

So, my question is, would a new monitor make a big difference to how COD looks or is it more the fact that my computer isn't as good as I thought it was? I was thinking of upgrading my RAM anyway since I can have 8Gb of it and I thought it might be good to have for 64-bit windows. So, what would be my best option here. Upgrade my computer and if so what parts, or to buy a new monitor. And could you also help me pick out good upgrades/monitors if needed thanks

Re: New Monitor? 13 years, 9 months ago #15015

• Tunes
  • Official TWK Admin
Your monitor has absolutely nothing to do with performance, I have quite older lcds and I don't see problem with them, besides being "slow" (10ms to 5 ms), 1280x1024 is pretty good, but, if you want to go HD (1920x1080) gotta get a new screen 16:9.

Re: New Monitor? 13 years, 9 months ago #15016

Id upgrade your RAM as 3GB on the 64-bit windows is enough but you'd see a general improvement on your system

Re: New Monitor? 13 years, 9 months ago #15021

• liger
  • Official TWK Admin
As said above monitor doesnt have anything to do with performance
HOWEVER
if you upgrade from such an old monitor to a new LED one, you WILL notice big difference in colours and how "juicy" the picture looks.

But be prepared to buy mid or high end monitors, coz the $150-250 ones are all crappy TN panels.

Re: New Monitor? 13 years, 9 months ago #15023

• Luckie
  • Official TWK Admin
yeah the performance is fine - the colours do look pretty crap though and objects don't seem very sharp or defined e.g. some textures do seem like they are from a few years ago despite the fact I have the settings up relatively high. So would a new monitor definately help this problem?

I had a quick look at some last night and would be willing to pay up to £200 for a really good one. Was looking at some half decent 23/24" monitors for around that price but would need some other opinions first before buying

Re: New Monitor? 13 years, 9 months ago #15024

• Tunes
  • Official TWK Admin
Of course as Liger said, newer led screens do pump up the overall image quality, and yours being 10ms, some colour drag does shows up, getting a 2ms 24'' goes around the 200€ mark, choose either samsung, lg or sony screens, as they are manufacturers and always choose the best panels for their lines

I would switch that memory to all equal set on speed, as you have two different speeds there.

Re: New Monitor? 13 years, 9 months ago #15028

• Luckie
  • Official TWK Admin
Brilliant - think I'll treat myself then

What do you think of these monitors?

24" LG www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/lg-w2453tq-p-f-03864605-pdt.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

24" LG (2,000,000:1 contrast ratio!? Ex-display but also available brand
new)www.ebuyer.com/product/179875

and some 24" Samsungs:

www.ebuyer.com/product/174584" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.ebuyer.com/product/158381" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.ebuyer.com/product/224045" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, on the RAM front, I think I'll leave that until later however I will upgrade it to the full 8GB so would get rid of my existing RAM and just fill all 4 slots with 2GB each. Was thinking of something like these:

www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=KING...CAcQ8wIwADgA#p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

www.ebuyer.com/product/128499?utm_source...edium=products" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does the amount of pins matter much and any other tips on RAM buying? :S

Re: New Monitor? 13 years, 9 months ago #15033

• Tin
  • Official TWK Admin
so you know black ops on my machine is not as crisp as mw2, i think its jst the style making it seem old
I am the tart of TWK, accept no subsitute!!

Re: New Monitor? 13 years, 9 months ago #15038

• Tunes
  • Official TWK Admin
Luckie wrote:
Brilliant - think I'll treat myself then

What do you think of these monitors?

24" LG www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/lg-w2453tq-p-f-03864605-pdt.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

24" LG (2,000,000:1 contrast ratio!? Ex-display but also available brand
new)www.ebuyer.com/product/179875

and some 24" Samsungs:

www.ebuyer.com/product/174584" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.ebuyer.com/product/158381" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.ebuyer.com/product/224045" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also, on the RAM front, I think I'll leave that until later however I will upgrade it to the full 8GB so would get rid of my existing RAM and just fill all 4 slots with 2GB each. Was thinking of something like these:

www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=KING...CAcQ8wIwADgA#p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

www.ebuyer.com/product/128499?utm_source...edium=products" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Does the amount of pins matter much and any other tips on RAM buying? :S

As for the monitor, go for led, spending money? Spend it well, led.

Memory, kingstons are the thing

The pins does matter, but even more, timmings, clock and non-ecc (regular mortals use non-ecc, ecc is reserved for servers).

Go for the Hyperx, I have those on this machine only they are 1GB banks.

Re: New Monitor? 13 years, 9 months ago #15042

• Luckie
  • Official TWK Admin
Right - think I'm gonna go for this one:

www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/prods/monito...W2486L-PF.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I need your opinion on this s What do you think of it - I was also a bit wary how it has a 1000:1 contrast ratio (is this good - all the monitors around this price range seem to have that and maybe a 50000:1 dynamic ratio but this monitor has 2000000:1 Yelling)
  • Page:
Moderators: Chifilly, VooDoo, iMattR
Time to create page: 0.22 seconds